Buying and using eco-friendly, non-toxic cleaning products is a proactive way to positively impact the environment! We use these products in our apartments whenever we can. Replacing traditional cleaning products with natural, eco-friendly products can help improve indoor air quality, reduce water and ambient air pollution while also removing contaminants from our apartment buildings’ interiors. We encourage residents of all of our apartments to join us in using eco-friendly, non-toxic cleaning products in their apartments.
The webpage http://eartheasy.com/live_nontoxic_solutions.htm gives a great description of non toxic home cleaning ideas that can be used in your apartment. Here are some of the ideas they give:
There are many inexpensive, easy-to-use natural alternatives which can safely be used in place of commercial household products. Here is a list of common, environmentally safe products which can be used alone or in combination for a wealth of household applications.
- Baking Soda - cleans, deodorizes, softens water, scours.
- Soap - unscented soap in liquid form, flakes, powders or bars is biodegradable and will clean just about anything. Avoid using soaps which contain petroleum distillates.
- Lemon - one of the strongest food-acids, effective against most household bacteria.
- Borax - (sodium borate) cleans, deodorizes, disinfects, softens water, cleans wallpaper, painted walls and floors.
- White Vinegar - cuts grease, removes mildew, odors, some stains and wax build-up.
- Washing Soda - or SAL Soda is sodium carbonate decahydrate, a mineral. Washing soda cuts grease, removes stains, softens water, cleans wall, tiles, sinks and tubs. Use care, as washing soda can irritate mucous membranes. Do not use on aluminum. Isopropyl Alcohol - is an excellent disinfectant. (It has been suggested to replace this with ethanol or 100 proof alcohol in solution with water. There is some indication that isopropyl alcohol buildup contributes to illness in the body. See http://drclark.ch/g)
- Cornstarch - can be used to clean windows, polish furniture, shampoo carpets and rugs.
- Citrus Solvent - cleans paint brushes, oil and grease, some stains. (Citrus solvent may cause skin, lung or eye irritations for people with multiple chemical sensitivities.)