Live Green Apartments uses energy efficient appliances, light bulbs to light our common areas, and efficient boilers. There are many ways we can work together to conserve energy and resources in our buildings, and in your apartment.
On Hot Days
- Close blinds during the day to keep direct sunlight from warming up the house.
- Close windows anytime outside air is warmer than inside air. Usually, this means opening windows at night and closing them during the day.
- Use a fan when people are around, but don’t leave a fan running in an empty room. A fan feels cool because of the wind on your skin. It doesn’t actually make the room cooler, unless it’s placed in a window with the purpose of pulling in cool outside air.
- Open the windows when outside temps dip below or match inside temps. In the evening put a fan in the window to pull in the cool night air.
- Turn off and avoid heat sources, like the oven, stove, incandescent light bulbs, and electronics.
- Avoid creating steam, because it raises the humidity level. Steam comes from boiling water, hot showers, washing dishes, or hanging wet clothes. On hot days take short, cool showers.
Here are a few other tips
- If you’re not using a light, turn it off as you leave the room. Plus, try using energy-efficient bulbs that help reduce your electric bill and provide light many times longer.
- When using air conditioners in the summer, be sure to only keep the unit on when you’re home or when absolutely necessary.
- Another great way to lower your electric bill and save energy is to unplug your electrical appliances when you’re not using them. Or, plug your appliances into a power strip and the turn the power strip off when the appliances aren’t in use!
- Refrigerators do use a lot of electricity. Be sure not to set the temperature in your refrigerator too cold.
- Buy light emitting diode (LED) light bulbs for your apartment. Remember that LED or CFL bulbs can’t be disposed of in the regular trash. Please put them in the bin in your laundry room and we’ll make sure they get disposed of properly.